Who We Are
THE SEVENTH DAY BAPTIST DENOMINATION
The Seventh Day Baptist Church of Shiloh is a member of the Seventh Day Baptist General Conference USA and Canada, LTD. located in Janesville, WI.
Discover Baptists with a Difference!
Baptists who worship on Saturday
Seventh Day Baptists observe the Biblical seventh day as established and blessed by God at earth’s creation. We observe the seventh day of the week (Saturday) as God’s Holy Day as an act of loving obedience — not as a means of salvation. Salvation is the free gift of God through Jesus Christ. It is the joy of the Sabbath that makes Seventh Day Baptists a people with a difference.
Like other Baptists:
- Seventh Day Baptists believe in salvation by grace through faith in Jesus Christ.
- Seventh Day Baptists believe the Bible is the inspired Word of God and the authority both for our faith and our daily conduct.
- Seventh Day Baptists believe in the baptism of believers by immersion.
- Seventh Day Baptists believe in freedom of thought under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
- Seventh Day Baptists believe in the congregational form of church government. Every member of the church has the right to participate in the decision making process of the church.
Some of this information came from Seventh Day Baptist literature. For more details, go to www.seventhdaybaptist.org
Who are the Seventh Day Baptists?
Seventh Day Baptists emerged as a part of the English Reformation, organizing their first church in London in the 1650s. That church, the Mill Yard Seventh Day Baptist Church, has continued for over 350 years.
The first Seventh Day Baptist church in America was established in Newport, Rhode Island, in 1671. Soon other early churches were established in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, and it was from these three centers that the denomination grew.
A desire to expand the fellowship and to organize for missionary efforts led to the founding of the Seventh Day Baptist General Conference in 1802. Denominational work blossomed in the mid-1800s with the initiation of the first foreign mission, the beginning of publication efforts, and an especially strong interest in education.
This and other literature about the history and beliefs of Seventh Day Baptists is available at www.seventhdaybaptist.org